Man Arrested After Bringing Gun To Police Station: Cops - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Man Arrested After Bringing Gun To Police Station: Cops

Girlfriend says man intended to 'kill a cop'



    Man Arrested After Bringing Gun to Police Station

    While police officers expect to face danger on the streets, on Sunday Upper Darby Police say they dealt with a serious threat in their own police station. (Published Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012)

    A Glenolden, Pa. man was arrested after he brought a gun into a police station in Upper Darby, according to police.

    Authorities say Kenneth Stewart, 23, came to the station around 12:30 a.m. Saturday to try and retrieve his girlfriend, who had been arrested earlier Friday night for public drunkenness. 

    Officers William Sides and Michael Begany approached Stewart and told him they would not let his girlfriend go, according to investigators. Police say Stewart, in a drunken or drug-induced rage, then went to his car and came back inside the lobby with a fully loaded TEC-9 gun in his waistband.

    "These two officers were fighting for their lives," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood. "It was kind of like a mortal combat situation."

    Man Brings Gun to Police Station: Cops

    [PHI] Man Brings Gun to Police Station: Cops
    Police say a man stormed into a police station to retrieve his girlfriend who had been arrested for public drunkenness. When he was turned away, the man allegedly returned with a fully loaded gun, leading to a struggle with two police officers.
    (Published Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012)

    Chitwood says Stewart began punching and kicking Officer Sides, causing both of them to fall to the ground. It was then that Officer Begany took action, according to investigators.

    "Sides never realized he had the gun," said Chitwood. "Begany saw him with the gun. He had both hands on the gun and looked like he was ready to fire when Begany grabbed it."

    Police say one of the bullets was accidentally ejected from the chamber of Stewart's weapon.  Fortunately no one was struck and police finally managed to subdue him.

    Police saw Stewart reach for the weapon and were able to subdue him before any shots were fired, according to investigators.

    "He was so out of control that he had to be tased," said Chitwood. "He was spitting blood at the officers, threatening to kill them." 

    Stewart was taken into custody and charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault. His girlfriend told police that he had come to the station to "kill a cop."

    Police also say he has two outstanding warrants. He allegedly threatened to kill a man back in December. He's also accused of beating a man with a baseball bat last summer. He's being held on $150,000 cash bail.

    Kenneth Stewart, 23

    Upper Darby Police