Gunman Shoots SEPTA Rider, Then Dies in Apparent Jump From Train

A gunman twice shot another rider on a SEPTA elevated train just before the Monday morning rush hour, then died when he apparently tried jumping from the train, a transit agency spokesman said

NBC Universal, Inc.

What to Know

  • A man was shot on a moving SEPTA Market-Frankford elevated train during the Monday morning commute.
  • Police blocked off the Arrott Transportation Center stop after taking the injured man off the train and SEPTA shuttle bused passengers.
  • A person matching witnesses' description of the shooter was later found dead on the tracks, SEPTA said. Witnesses say he jumped from the train.

A man was shot on an elevated SEPTA train in Philadelphia's Frankford neighborhood during the Monday morning commute, causing the transit agency to shuttle bus passengers. A man matching the description of the shooter, according to witnesses, was later found dead on the tracks, SEPTA said.

SEPTA police responded to the Arrott Transportation Center stop along the Market-Frankford Line around 6:15 a.m. to find a 27-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his arm and torso on the train, SEPTA and Philadelphia police said. He was taken to the hospital in stable condition, police said.

Witnesses said the shooter jumped off the train. SEPTA and police later said a man matching the suspect's description was found dead on the tracks after being struck by a westbound train.

SEPTA didn't reveal the exact circumstances around the shooting. Spokesman Andrew Busch said SEPTA police were reviewing surveillance footage from the train and platform as part of the investigation. He said he was not aware of a motive for the shooting as of early Monday.

A gunman shot a SEPTA rider on an eastbound elevated train in the Frankford section of Philadelphia on Monday morning. Witnesses say the attacker may have then died when he jumped from the train. NBC10 reporter Brandon Hudson went to Arrott Transportation Center to find out what happened.

An officer could be seen blocking the entrance to the el train platform at the Arrott stop at Arrott Street and Frankford Avenue with yellow tape.

SEPTA used shuttle buses to take passengers between the Frankford Transportation Center and Allegheny Station throughout the morning commute. MFL service finally resumed normally around 10 a.m.

There are additional resources for people or communities that have endured gun violence in Philadelphia. Further information can be found here.

Contact Us