The reputed boss of the Philadelphia mob is a free man after beating two racketeering trials over two years.
"I feel great" is all Joseph "Uncle Joe" Ligambi said as he got into a car with his brother and nephew outside the federal courthouse in Old City on Tuesday morning.
His release comes after the Justice Department decided not to take Ligambi to trial a third time. A judge on Tuesday dismissed his 2009 indictment.
Two juries have deadlocked on the central racketeering charge, while acquitting Ligambi of six lesser counts.
At his home in South Philadelphia following his release, Ligambi said he is planning to work with his attorney, Ed Jacobs, to "see about the future."
"I'm advising him now [that] there's no need to go back to work full-time, ignore all these rumors about being the acting head of the mob, enjoy his wife, his kids and his family. He's in his mid-70s. It's time for him to slow down and enjoy life a little bit," Jacobs said.
The case mostly involves low-level gambling and loansharking, in contrast to the deadly feuds that long characterized Philadelphia mob trials.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The 74-year-old Ligambi has been in prison since 2011. His alleged underboss, enforcer and others were convicted last year.
Scores of family, some carrying wine, streamed into his home after his release. His son Steven said it's great to have his dad back.
"It's been hell these past three years," he said. "He's home. That's what he wants. That's what we want."