Oregon Defeats St. Joe's 69 to 64

Top-seeded Oregon hit two big three-pointers in the final two minutes, Saint Joseph's had one critical mental error in the last minute and the eighth-seeded Hawks saw their season come to an end in a 69-64 loss late Sunday night in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

Oregon (30-6), riding a 10-game winning streak, advances to the Sweet 16 in the West Region and will play fourth-seeded Duke Thursday at around 10 p.m.

A trey by Tyler Dorsey with 1:54 left put Oregon up 61-60. After DeAndre' Bembry made two free throws for Saint Joseph's (28-8), Dillon Brooks swished a three from the right wing at 1:20 to make it 64-62.

The Hawks, who had a lot of trouble all night getting open looks, made one-too-many passes and had a shot clock violation with 43 seconds to play.

Oregon got two free throws from Elgin Cook and then Bembry had a quick layup to make it 66-64 with 26.8 seconds remaining.

Casey Benson was fouled and he made only one free throw but Bembry, looking for a tying three-pointer, lost the handle with 9.2 seconds left. In the scramble that tied the ball up, the Hawks were called for a foul and Dorsey iced the game with two free throws.

Brooks led Oregon with 25 points, Cook had 18 and Dorsey 14.

Bembry had 16 — 14 in the second half — plus 12 rebounds. Lamarr Kimble had 11 points and Aaron Brown and Shavar Newkirk 10 each.

The Hawks were down 10 when Brooks hit a three-pointer from the right wing early in the second half, but they responded with a 10-0 run to tie it at 45 — the first since 2-2 — at 10:17. Shortly after that, St. Joe's had an 8-0 run for a 58-51 lead with 5:33 left but Oregon scored the next seven, setting up the frantic finish.

Early struggles
It felt as though Saint Joseph's should feel fortunate to only trail 32-27 at the half. Maybe it was Oregon's five blocked shots or the Hawks' early foul trouble.

A 13-5 run put Oregon up 30-20 with 3:02 to play. At that point, the Ducks were 12 of 15 from the line while the Hawks were 2 of 5.

St. Joe's had eight turnovers and 11 fouls with Aaron Brown and Pierfrancesco Oliva with three apiece. Isaiah Miles had two and only played six minutes with the basket that tied the game at 2 his only points.

Also, Bembry seemed to have an Oregon player glued to him. After a dunk at the 16:22 mark, he didn't score again, missing three shots, including his only three. However, he refused to force the issue and had seven rebounds. It was a far cry from his 20-point first half in Friday's end.

The Hawks were strong on the defensive end, holding the Ducks to 33 percent shooting and getting them to take 13 three-pointers, only making two. But Oregon was 12 of 15 from the line to St. Joe's 7 of 10.

This was the second meeting between the schools, with Oregon winning the first one, 55-44, on Dec. 19, 1938. That game at the start of the 1938-39 season helped propel the Ducks to the first NCAA title. That team finished 29-5.

There are three graduates of Saint Joseph's with ties to the Pacific Northwest. The obvious one is former Hawks coach Jack Ramsey, who was coach of the Portland Trailblazers when they won their only NBA title. His assistant was Jack McKinney. The third is former Oregon women's coach Paul Westhead.

One other Duck note, walk-on Phil Richmond is the son of former NBA standout Mitch Richmond, who played for Oregon coach Dana Altman in junior college. The younger Richmond was a manager last season.

Contact Us