Alleged Shooter's Brother Charged in SEPTA Subway Shooting

Police say they are questioning the brother of the teen shooter who opened fire after an argument with Bulls fans on the Market-Frankford Line

On Monday, Philadelphia Police charged one of the two teenage brothers wanted in connection to a shooting on SEPTA's Market-Frankford subway that began as an argument following a Sixers game.

Police told NBC10 that they had Eric Early, 16, in custody Monday afternoon. After a few hours, Early was charged as an adult with aggravated assault and related charges.

His brother Matthew Early,18, the alleged gunman remained on the loose, according to investigators.

Police say the Early brothers got into an argument with Bulls fans while on their way home from the Sixers loss to the Bulls Wednesday night and after they got off the train at the 46th Street Station in West Philadelphia, Matthew shot once back into the train, striking one of the Bulls fans and an innocent bystander.

The whole incident was caught on surveillance cameras. (WARNING: The video could be considered graphic.)

"It's bizarre. This is behavior that is just over the top," Lt. John Walker told NBC10 after the shooting. "It's intolerable. I mean, people have to realize this reckless behavior cannot continue."

Police say the Early brothers got into an argument with some Bulls fans about the game. Witnesses tell police the men argued for quite some time before the teens exited the train at 46th Street.

Matthew Early, police say, turned and fired one shot into the crowded subway train, striking one of the Bulls fans in the stomach. The bullet went through that man and hit an innocent bystander in the leg, according to officials.

"He could have shot a kid," said victim Tramaine Fortune.

Fortune and the other victims are expected to make full recoveries.

The shooter and his brother ran from the scene.

Anyone who knows about Matthew Early's whereabouts should contact Philadelphia Police's Southwest Detectives at 215-686-3183/84.

Contact Us