Pennsylvania's solicitor general said the attorney general's office will take a second look into a fight allegedly involving former Philadelphia Eagle LeSean McCoy and two off-duty police officers in Philadelphia.
Earlier this month, Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams declined to file charges against McCoy and three friends who were allegedly involved in the caught-on-video fight.
The incident, apparently over sparkling wine, happened on February 7 at Recess nightclub along S. 2nd Street. Officers Darnell Jessie and Roland Butler suffered broken bones and bruises in the fight.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The police union pressed officials to file charges in the case which languished for weeks before Williams declined charges. Angry with the decision, John McNesby, president of the Fraternal Order of Police's Lodge 5, wrote the state attorney general's office asking for a review of Williams' decision.
Solicitor General Bruce Castor granted McNesby's request in a letter Tuesday. Castor said the office will review the evidence to determine whether state attorneys think it overwhelmingly supports charges. If so, the attorney general's office could ask a court to overturn Williams' decision.
Should that happen, it would set statewide president for reviewing local district attorney's decisions. Castor said the office would also have to weigh whether this case is worth doing so.
In a statement Friday night, Williams said he stands by his decision, which he came to after an extensive investigation.
"We conducted 44 interviews speaking with a total of 27 individuals, made site visits, examined the medical records of multiple participants, and reviewed photographs and video surveillance footage," Williams said.
The probe's resulting evidence, Williams said, did not support filing charges.