Minor Car Crash Leads to Fatal Punch: Cops - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Minor Car Crash Leads to Fatal Punch: Cops

Police say 66-year-old Vietnam Veteran Allen Briscoe was killed after an 18-year-old punched him in the face. The 18-year-old confronted Briscoe after he accidentally crashed his car into his 16-year-old pregnant girlfriend, according to investigators.



    Alleged Deadly Punch Teen in Court

    Vietnam Veteran Allen Briscoe was killed when 18-year-old Aleem Mayes allegedly punched him for accidentally hitting Mayes' pregnant girlfriend with his car, according to authorities. (Published Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012)

    A Vietnam Veteran is dead and an 18-year-old high school senior is charged with murder after police say a minor car accident led to a deadly confrontation in Camden.

    On Monday, around 7:30 p.m., police say Allen Briscoe, 66, was driving his pick-up truck down 30th Street to pick up his wife at a relative’s home. He was nearly a block away when investigators say he accidentally struck a 16-year-old pregnant girl who had stepped out into the street.

    The girl was knocked down and suffered minor injuries, according to investigators.

    Police say the girl’s boyfriend, Aleem Mayes, approached Briscoe and began to argue with him. Briscoe told Mayes he didn’t see the girl and apologized, according to investigators.

    Minor Car Crash Ends in Deadly Confrontation

    [PHI] Minor Car Crash Ends in Deadly Confrontation
    A Camden man is dead after he's allegedly punched by a teen on a street. The confrontation followed a minor car accident that involved the teen's pregnant girlfriend.
    (Published Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012)

    "After realizing that he hit this young lady (Briscoe) immediately stopped his car and exited his vehicle to see if she was OK," said Assistant Prosecutor Mary Alison Albright at Mayes' arraignment Wednesday. "While that was happening he was punched in the face and knocked unconscious."

    Officials say Mayes' punch caused Briscoe to hit his head on the ground.

    Briscoe was taken to Cooper Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9 p.m. Officials say he suffered an aneurysm caused by the blunt force trauma.

    Briscoe’s niece, Kimberly Gardner, says her uncle would have never left the scene and would have done anything to help the teen girl.

    “He was a very caring man,” said Gardner. “For him to lose his life in that manner around the corner, it’s very devastating.”

    Mayes was arrested and charged with murder. He has a history of anger management issues, according to authorities.

    “I’m sure that this young man didn’t intend that he was going to murder somebody,” said Gardner. “You have to think about your actions and the repercussions of those actions.”

    At Mayes' arraignment the judge said the high school senior is a flight risk and set bail at $750,000.