No One Helped Pregnant Beating Victim: Witnesses - NBC 10 Philadelphia

No One Helped Pregnant Beating Victim: Witnesses

Tovoyia Owens dies after an alleged attack involving her ex-boyfriend: sources



    Tovoyia Owens' ex-boyfriend and a handful of others are in custody. No one has been charged. (Published Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011)

    A 21-year-old pregnant woman died after a fight outside Philadelphia Traffic Court Monday afternoon.

    Tovoyia Owens and her current boyfriend were leaving the courthouse at 800 Spring Garden St. when they had some sort of altercation with an ex-boyfriend and a group of men just before 2 p.m., sources said.

    Witnesses said that about five men attacked Owens in front of the courthouse.

    "We saw all these guys, like, beating this girl," said one witness, David Cole. "And she was pregnant, and like, no one tried to help."

    Pregnant Woman Dies in a Traffic Court Tragedy

    Pregnant Woman Dies in a Traffic Court Tragedy
    Tovoyia Owens died after a group of men including her ex-boyfriend allegedly attacked the pregnant woman outside Philadelphia Traffic Court in Spring Garden Monday afternoon.
    (Published Monday, Feb. 7, 2011)

    During the fight, one of the men allegedly struck Owens in the head. She fell to the ground, possibly hitting her head against the pavement, police said.

    "I want their families to understand what these men did to my granddaughter," said Barbara Morris Monday night.

    Owens was pronounced dead at 3:10 p.m. at Hahnemann Hospital after the altercation.

    The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide due to blunt force trauma.

    "I just found out that she was pregnant. So not only did they take my granddaughter's life, they took her unborn baby's life also," said Owens' grandmother.

    A 29-year-old man was arrested, said sources. His exact role in the brawl wasn't immediately clear.

    Habersham County Sheriff Office

    As of Wednesday police were still looking for the ex-boyfriend and other alleged attackers, sources said.

    Owens was taking classes at Cheyney University and worked as a pharmacy technician at a West Philly Rite Aid, family members said. She also had a 4-year-old daughter. 

     Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and NBC Philadelphia. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter. And, get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)