Here are your Morning Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• San Jose Sharks Coach Todd McLellan was once the student; but after last night's win over the Detroit Red Wings, he's the master ... at least for one game. Mike Babcock said Detroit was "Winged" last night. Sharks GM Doug Wilson: "There were things Detroit did last year that we want this team to do." [Mercury News]
• Nothing concrete yet on Sidney Crosby's injury for the Pittsburgh Penguins last night in Phoenix. Fox Sports Arizona announcers claimed it was to the ribs. [Tribune-Review]
• Interesting coverage from Craig Custance on the "hits to the head" controversy, landing an interview with the much-concussed Simon Gagne of the Philadelphia Flyers and speaking with Glen Healy of the NHLPA about prevention. He said that the NHL-reviewed hits to the head were down from 52 two years ago to 10 last year. Is that improvement, or the NHL ignoring some potential suspensions? [Sporting News]
• In defense of Ryan Hollweg. [Puck Update]
• "Shanny too much of a granny for Leafs' tastes." If we were Brendan Shanahan, we'd find the headline writer at the Toronto Sun and pound his head until it was shaped like the Toronto Maple Leafs' logo. Even if "granny" does rhyme with "tranny," as Shanny knows. [Toronto Sun]
In partnership with NBC Sports Philadelphia
• Speaking of Shanny: Perhaps the St. Louis Blues? [TFP]
• An interesting look at the prices of ticket brokers, and how their rise and fall seems to follow the fortunes of NHL teams. In this case, the preseason hype and eventual disappointment of the Tampa Bay Lightning. [Tampa Tribune, via Kukla's]
• Columbus Blue Jackets winger Jared Boll gets a one-game suspension for an instigator in the final five minutes. [Jackets]
• New Jersey Devils defenseman Andy Greene will miss at least a month. After giving up about 10,000 shots to the Leafs this week, perhaps he needs the rest. [Fire & Ice]
• Washington Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau will have a book coming out soon. It'll probably have a title like "Gabby" or something, which totally ignores our suggested title: "The Erotic Awakening of Bruce." [On Frozen Blog]
• Pension Plan Puppets has had enough of the media dogging Leafs fans. [PPP]
• In case you missed it, Leahy's Halloween costume suggestions for NHL players. [Going Five Hole]
• Finally, the NHL sent this over this morning and now it's on YouTube. Happy Halloween!