The Eagles didn't have to look very far to find a replacement for Joe Douglas, promoting Andy Weidl from director of player personnel to vice president of player personnel.
Weidl, who had been Douglas's right-hand man, will now replace him as Douglas begins his tenure as the Jets' general manager.
This was a seemingly obvious move for the Eagles because their system has been working. Weidl isn't a Douglas clone, but this will sort of allow some consistency in the front office. The two had a long working history together, both coming up under legendary Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.
The Eagles should already have a good sense of the working relationship that they'll have between Howie Roseman and Weidl. The relationship between Roseman and Douglas was key over the last few years.
"Andy comes from the Ozzie Newsome tree of talent evaluators in Baltimore," Roseman said in a statement. "I spoke with (senior football advisor) Tom Donahoe, who hired Andy in Pittsburgh, and he had nothing but great things to say about his work ethic. You can sense his drive for scouting right off the bat and he has spent his entire career working for an opportunity like this. We are very pleased to have him join us."
Weidl is a Pittsburgh native, but was an offensive lineman at Villanova in the 90s. He began his scouting career with the Steelers, then went to the Saints before joining the Ravens. He was in Baltimore from 2005-16, most of those years with Douglas.
In addition to the promotion for Weidl, the Eagles also made several other front office changes:
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles and their NFL rivals from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
• Roseman's new title is "executive vice president/general manager," which is great because the Eagles previously had an executive vice president of football operations and a vice president of football operations (Andrew Berry).
• Ian Cunningham has been promoted to assistant director of player personnel (from director of college scouting). Cunningham is another big move because he came from the Ravens' pipeline and the Eagles were able to keep him from leaving to join Douglas and the Jets.
• Brandon Brown promoted to director of pro scouting.
• Bryce Johnson promoted to director of football administration.
• Katie David promoted to football operations director.
• Casey Weidl promoted to director of scouting operations.
• Max Gruder hired as assistant director of pro scouting.
• Matt Holland promoted to senior pro scout.
• Chris Nolan promoted to player personnel scout.
• Ameena Soliman hired as player personnel coordinator.
• James Gilman hired as quantitative analyst.
• Ed Miller promoted to assistant equipment manager.
• Craig Blake promoted to assistant equipment manager.
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.