IRVING, Texas -- Dallas running back Darren McFadden fractured his right elbow in an accident at home and will likely be sidelined at the start of training camp.
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said the accident happened during Memorial Day weekend, and McFadden returned for voluntary workouts last week. Garrett said the fracture was discovered during a physical before the mandatory minicamp that started Tuesday.
McFadden, who had surgery Tuesday, was fourth in the NFL in rushing last season with 1,089 yards. Garrett said McFadden would be out "at least a couple of months," with the team hoping he'll be ready for the season opener. Training camp starts in late July in California.
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia Eagles and their NFL rivals from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
An eight-year veteran, McFadden missed the day that was open to reporters during the second week of voluntary workouts after the holiday weekend before returning last week.
"He's a tough guy. That's one of the things we know about McFadden," Garrett said (see full story).
Giants receiver Victor Cruz takes next step in recovery
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- After missing all of last season, wide receiver Victor Cruz is inching closer to playing for the New York Giants.
Cruz surprised many by running routes and catching passes during individual drills on Tuesday, the opening day of a three-day minicamp.
"We felt it was time to take the next step," new coach Ben McAdoo said after the workout, adding that it was just a small step.
It was a big one for Cruz.
"We're right at that turning point," Cruz said. "I feel like I am finally getting back out on the field, finally running some routes, whether it be in the individual or any portion of practice. It's definitely a step in the right direction. I felt good."
The 29-year-old Cruz said he ran routes at full speed for the first time on Friday and got the go-ahead to do it again at the minicamp, the team's last activity before training camp opens on July 28. He looked good, running hard, planting his foot and cutting, lending hope that he might return to the form that made him one of the NFL's most feared receivers.
Cruz, who has played in only six games in the past two seasons because of knee and calf injuries, expects to be a full-go for training camp. He showed signs of progress last season, but the calf injury kept him from playing.
Having another setback is not in his thinking (see full story).
AP Source: Bosa skipping minicamp due to contract dispute
SAN DIEGO -- A person with knowledge of the situation says San Diego Chargers first-round draft pick Joey Bosa is skipping this week's minicamp after a dispute arose in contract negotiations.
The person says there are issues with the structure of the contract. The person spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.
The minicamp opened Tuesday and will run through Thursday.
Bosa, the former Ohio State defensive end, was taken with the third pick overall.
The Chargers will rely on Bosa to bolster their defense as they try to rebound from a 4-12 season in which they went winless against AFC West opponents.
Jets' Revis plans to keep playing 'until wheels fall off'
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis insists he's unfazed by critics who suggest he might have lost a step, saying he plans to keep playing "until the wheels fall off, hopefully."
Revis had offseason surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right wrist, but says during minicamp Tuesday that it is healing well and he expects to be ready to participate at the start of training camp late next month. He has been unable to practice so far this offseason because of the wrist, which was injured early last season.
Revis remains one of the top players at his position. He turns 31 on July 14, and some fans and media suggested he might no longer be an elite cornerback. He says those are opinions and won't change his approach or how he views himself.
Broncos sign linebacker Brandon Marshall to 4-year extension
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As the Von Miller contract stalemate drags on, the Denver Broncos locked down another key defender, signing linebacker Brandon Marshall to a four-year, $32 million extension.
Marshall will make about $2.5 million in 2016 and his new deal kicks in the following year and runs through 2020.
Marshall has posted back-to-back 100-tackle seasons for the Broncos, who signed him to their practice squad after he was cut twice by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012.
His 101 stops last season came despite a broken screw in his right foot and a sprained right forefinger that required offseason surgery.
General manager John Elway originally made re-signing Miller a priority but turned his attention to Marshall after Miller rejected a six-year offer with $38.5 million guaranteed.