Son Accused of Killing Mom With CO From Portable Generator

A Bensalem man was arrested after police say he killed his own mother with carbon monoxide from a portable generator. Neighbors however have a different story, and claim that the mother's death was the result of a suicide pact between her and her son.

On Monday around 11:25 p.m., police responded to the Longmeadow Apartment complex on the 3000 block of Bristol Road for a report of fumes coming from the interior of an apartment unit.

When the responding officers and firefighters arrived, they were met at the door by 30-year-old Koustantinos Yiambilis.

U.S. & World

Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.

Virus Updates: Calif. Tops 10K COVID-19 Deaths; PPP Expires Saturday

Plane Skids Off Runway in India; 16 Killed, Dozens Hurt

The officers entered the apartment where they found Yiambilis’ mother, 59-year-old Karen Yiambilis, lying unconscious on the bedroom floor. She was taken to Aria Torresdale Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Koustantinos Yiambilis was also taken to the hospital for evaluation and treatment. Residents in four adjacent apartments were evacuated until officials determined the scene was safe.

According to police, a preliminary investigation found that Yiambilis intentionally caused the death of his mother by using a portable generator. He was arrested and charged with criminal homicide, risking a catastrophe, recklessly endangering another person and other related offenses.

Despite the charges, neighbors who spoke with NBC10 say they believe the incident was actually a suicide pact between the mother and son who had recently been hit by hard times.

According to neighbors, Koustantinos Yiambilis was fired from his job last Friday and needed brain surgery after suffering a serious head injury. With his mother unemployed as well, the family didn't have the money for the procedure.

Friends also claim that Karen Yiambilis was the one who actually asked to borrow the generator from a neighbor Monday morning.

"I really don't think it was homicide at all," said Jessica Shaffery, one of the neighbors. "I think that they just had a lot going on and they didn't have the resources that they needed for themselves. I think it was just too much for them to handle at that point."

Yiambilis was arraigned and detained with no bail. He will be transported to the Bucks County Prison once he is healthy enough to leave the hospital.

Contact Us