Beyonce's little sis Solange Knowles got into a scuffle with police Sunday night… over an inflatable banana.
Shortly before Knowles was announced her big baby news at the VMA's, Solange blasted the Miami police (later confirmed the be the Miami Beach Police) on Twitter for discriminating against her and threatening her with a switchblade when she was denied access to a Miami club early Sunday morning.
"A police officer just pulled a weapon on me…. I have done NOTHING illegal, against the law, or anything of the sort," she wrote in a tweet tirade, adding: "I am simply tired of police using arrogance, ego and authority as an offense."
MBPD spokesman Juan Sanchez said the incident began when the R&B singer was denied entry to Cameo nightclub in South Beach because she was carrying the five-foot inflatable fruit.
U.S. & World
Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.
Knowles began to complain that the reasons for not being allowed inside were racially motivated, according to Sanchez, and off-duty officers working at the club escorted her across the street to continue the discussion.
The 25-year-old singer shortly made an informal complaint by phone to an on-duty sergeant that one of the men pulled a weapon -- Knowles alleges it was a switchplade -- and threatened to deflate the banana.
Solange's tirade included four other tweets:
- "I have literally had my last leg with discriminating police! Miami police department will be notified."
- "I'm only tweeting this to raise awareness. I could have left quietly, but I am sick & tired of this scenario being played over & over again."
- "It is time to do something about it. I am a mother raising a young black child in America. I'm going to die trying!"
- "Been on the phone for the last 20 minutes reporting this incident. Yes, I have the officers name. yes I have the location."
- "Scare tactics don't WORK."
- "Yes, very funy a balloon was involved in the incident....but having a switchblade pulled out on you is no laughing matter."
In happier news, the singer also tweeted she "could not possible be more proud," apparently referring to the news of her big sister's pregnancy.
No word yet on what exactly Solange was doing with inflatable fruit.