Read this and you'll look smart. You don't have to be intelligent to impress people -- you just have to fake it. Here's a daily list of fascinating articles that will wow your friends, surprise your co-workers and make you seem sharp at a cocktail party or over the lunch counter....
- A goldfish that leapt out of its bowl in the middle of the night should have suffocated after 10 minutes but it survived out of water for 13 hours.
- Scientists will attempt to create an artificial sun. A group of researchers hope to ignite a man-made star and cause a thermonuclear reaction sometime this spring. If the experiment is successful, it will mark the first step toward creating a nuclear fusion station.
- What is the greenest way to dispose of your holiday leftovers? Putting food down a garbage disposal will eventually lead to affecting the chemical composition and aquatic life of local streams. Garbage trucks guzzle gas. Landfills aren't much better. So, what gives?
- A species of deep-sea squid use beaks or hooks to cut into their mates during sex in what has been dubbed "traumatic fertilization."
- The seven best capers of 2008.