Philadelphia police

Mom of Quadriplegic Man With Cerebral Palsy Abandoned in Woods in Hospital

The Philadelphia woman accused of abandoning her quadriplegic son with cerebral palsy and leaving him alone in the woods for over five days with nothing but a blanket and a Bible is currently in the hospital.

Nyia Parler, 41, is accused of leaving her 21-year-old son in a wooded area along Cobbs Creek Parkway near Catharine Street around 11 a.m. Monday before traveling to Montgomery County, Maryland to visit her boyfriend.

Parler was hospitalized early Sunday morning in Maryland after a warrant was signed for her arrest. Investigators have not yet revealed why she was hospitalized. Police say they have to wait for doctors to clear her before they take her to court for an extradition hearing.

"The timeline is what ever the doctors say," said Montgomery County Police Captain Paul Starks. "When she has completed her treatment we will take her from the hospital to the District Court in Maryland."

Parler is expected to be charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment, neglect of a care-dependent person, unlawful restraint, kidnapping and false imprisonment.

Police plan to arrest the mother of a quadriplegic man who they say was left alone in the woods for several days. NBC10’s Cydney Long has the details.

After several days of cold temperatures and rain, Parler's son was found 100-feet into the woods around 9 p.m. Friday, according to Philadelphia Police Lt. John Walker. Investigators say the victim likely would have died if not for the man who spotted him while passing by.

"They found [him] about 100 yards off the roadway here, laying in leaves. He's got a blanket over him and a Bible on his chest," Walker said. "He has a wheelchair about 10 feet from his body."

Dave Palmer / NBC10
This Bible was laying across a 21-year-old quadriplegic man's chest when he was found abandoned in the woods along Cobbs Creek Parkway. The man, who has cerebral palsy, was found 10 feet from his wheelchair, covered with leaves and a blanket.

Rescuers took the man to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where he is being treated for a cut on his back, dehydration, malnutrition and exposure to the weather, police said. He is currently in stable condition.

"A lot of things could've happened out there," Walker said. "Obviously he's in the middle of a wooded area. You have wild animals out there. You never know what's going to happen."

Several of his aunts are by his bedside, said police, who added the relatives are being interviewed about his medical history and his mother.

Officials describe the victim as "non-verbal" and completely dependent on others for his care.

"What we've learned so far is that the 21-year-old child lives with his mother, completely dependent on mom as a result of his condition," Walker said. "She also has a 16-year-old son who is staying with other family members."

Philadelphia and Maryland police officials are working together to locate the mother of a 21-year-old quadriplegic man who was found in the woods late Friday night. NBC10’s Jesse Gary is at the scene with city police officials.

The man, who attends the School of the Future at 40th Street and Parkside Avenue, didn't show up for classes and officials called Nyia Parler, his mother, police said. When she didn't answer, they contacted his aunt and then she phoned his mom, according to investigators.

At that time, Parler lied to authorities, claiming her son was safe with her in Maryland along with her boyfriend, according to investigators.

"We know she left for Maryland on Monday to go see her boyfriend on a bus," Walker said.

Police signed a warrant for Parler's arrest Saturday night.

Parler is expected to be extradited to Philadelphia in a matter of days unless she tries to fight the extradition, Maryland authorities told NBC10's Jesse Gary following the woman's arrest.

Police want to know how a 21-year-old quadriplegic man with cerebal palsy ended up in the woods alone. NBC10’s Jesse Gary is in the Cobbs Creek section of the city with details.

Gary was at the scene when officers took the man's wheelchair in as evidence Saturday morning.

U.S. & World

Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.

The Supreme Court Nomination and Confirmation Process, Explained

How to Properly Store Your At-Home COVID-19 Rapid Tests

Police said the victim and Parler live in a West Philadelphia home that does not have a handicapped-accessible ramp. They are working with DHS in the investigation.

"It's heartbreaking to see another human, especially a mother, treat someone like that," Walker said. "You had all the opportunities in the world to turn that kid to your family members who wanted to care for him." 

Contact Us