Retired Philly Cop Charged With Raping Girl for Years

Man began as girl's karate instructor and allegedly became her attacker over a span of eight years

Allegations of rape, physical and psychological abuse and now a police cover up have been raised against the case involving a former Philadelphia cop.

Tyrone Wiggins faces charges of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and statutory sexual assault for allegedly abusing a girl over an eight-year period.

The 50-year-old former Philly police officer and karate instructor met the girl in 1995 at the Olney Recreation Center -- where he operates a karate academy.

Two years later, the girl says Wiggins drove her to Fairmount Park and demanded oral sex, according to court documents.

The girl, who's now 24-years-old, alleges that first encounter grew into eight years of sexual assault and abuse. Court documents say the girl was forced to perform oral sex, was anally raped and physically beaten.

In 2005, the then 20-year-old told police Wiggins began to punch her, court documents said. She finally came forward to Internal Affairs investigators after a co-worker found out about the attacks.

"The allegation was made in '06, it went to the D.A. in '07 and an arrest was made a few weeks ago," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said Tuesday.

Wiggins was arrested in November, a day after he retired from the police force. He had been with the department for 23 years.

"This is something that we obviously take very seriously and if he's guilty, he should do time in jail," Ramsey said.

The alleged victim apparently joined the police force after telling her story to investigators, police sources told the Philadelphia Daily News. They said Wiggins offered to personally vouch for the woman after learning of her application.

NBC Philadelphia visited the man's home Tuesday, but a person inside the home -- believed to be Wiggins -- refused to talk.

After his arrest, the man continued to operate his karate classes at the Olney center, because the police department failed to notify the city recreation department.

"As soon as you and I are finished talking, I'm going to make sure he won't be running any more programs," Recreation Commissioner Sue Slawson told the Daily News' David Gambacorta.

As of now, the woman is the only alleged victim to come forward, but Ramsey says they will obviously investigate any further claims.

The department faced allegations of a cover up after they failed to notify the press about Wiggins' arrest especially after another man in blue was paraded in front of reporters for a similar case.

Adrian Makuch was arrested and charged with prostitution and related offenses on Dec. 9 for allegedly soliciting a 15-year-old boy.

"It's my mistake not getting it out in a press release," Ramsey said. "There was no effort to hide it in any way."

City Councilwoman Marian Tasco sent a letter to Ramsey Tuesday seeking answers regarding the oversight and investigation.

Wiggins is due in court for a preliminary hearing on Jan. 14.

Contact Us