Neighbors sprung into action and alerted fellow residents after a fire broke out inside an apartment complex in Northeast Philadelphia.
The fire started shortly before midnight Monday at the Haldeman Manor Apartments in the city’s Somerton section.
The fire started in the laundry room at the apartment complex. Firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Residents say alarms got them out of bed and some of them went door-to-door alerting their neighbors.
“Everybody ran around, banging on people’s doors to get out ... everybody got out safe and that’s all that matters,” resident William Mozee told NBC10.
A 66-year-old man was taken to Aria Health Torresdale Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. He is listed in stable condition.
Nine residents are displaced.
The fire remains under investigation.