Manhunt Ends With Route 422 Road Rage Suspect Dead

Police find road rage suspect dead of apparent suicide after he fails to show up for court Thursday

John Yannarell was found dead in his house Thursday afternoon ending a manhunt that began after the road rage suspect failed to show up for court Thursday amidst new allegations.

Cops went to Yannarell’s Gilbertsville home after he didn’t show up for his 10 a.m. preliminary hearing at district court in Collegeville, Pa.

A search warrant was issued around 11:30 a.m. and authorities entered the home around 2 p.m. 

Authorities found Yannarell's black Corvette parked in the garage and they found the suspect dead of an apparent suicide in a second floor bedroom.

A rifle was found by his side but there were no signs of trauma, sources said.

The manhunt started after Yannarell, who allegedly shot at a woman during a road rage incident on Route 422 earlier this month, failed to show up for court Thursday as revelations of earlier road rage incidents came to light.

Yannarell was considered armed and dangerous, said Assistant District Attorney John Gradel Thursday morning.

The 50-year-old engineer allegedly fired at 31-year-old Elizabeth Cox during an April 9 morning rush hour road rage accident on Route 422 near the Oaks.

A single bullet ripped through the back of her black Ford Focus, hitting Cox twice -- once in her right knee and once in her right elbow, police said.

"She felt a vibration on her vehicle and believing she was struck, she pulled over to the shoulder of the highway thinking that the other operator would also stop," Pennsylvania State Police Sgt. Andrew Skelton said at the time.

He was charged with criminal attempted homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

Defusing Road Rage: What You Need to Know

Woman Hit Twice by Same Bullet

Woman Shot in Car on Rt. 422

Neighbors described the engineer as a "hothead" after the incident. His anger could have also been at the root of earlier alleged road rage cases.

It was revealed Thursday that he faced charges for two other road rage attacks, according to court documents.

Yannarell faces attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault stemming from a January 2010 incident where he allegedly shot at man driving another car on Route 100 in Pottsgrove, Pa.

He also faces a propulsion of a missile charge after allegedly throwing a bottle of Gatorade at another car in September 2009 while going about 70 mph on Route 422 near the Sanatoga exit.

Authorities connected Yannarell to the earlier cases after the April Route 422 incident.

Yannarell's lawyer Saul Solomon told reporters outside the courtroom that he spoke with his client Wednesday night. He told his client that he would likely face the other charges and that Yannarell's bail would likely be revoked, Solomon said.

"He was upset," said Solomon.

Authorities also looked for Yannarell at Schooners Marina in Wildwood, N.J. where he owned a boat. He was free on bail awaiting his trial after posting $50,000 bail on April 12.

Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from anytime, anywhere. Also get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)

Contact Us