Carbon monoxide killed two men inside seperate Upper Darby apartments on Friday morning and police blamed the deaths on a generator inside the grocery store below them.
The store's power was shut off because of delinquent bills, according to police. On Thursday, a generator was installed to restore power, but wasn't properly ventilated according to Upper Darby Police Superintendent Mike Chitwood. He's investigating the deaths as possible homicides.
Ernesto Huerta died from the fumes. The second victim -- who lived in the adjacent unit -- hasn't been identified.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Huerta, 57, lived above the International Grocery Store in the 7300 block of West Chester Pike. He owned Pinky's Cafe at 18th and South Street in Philadelphia, according to a family member.
The owner of the building is not the same person who manages the store. Investigators don't know yet who is responsible for paying electric bills or who installed the generator.
Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from NBCPhiladelphia.com anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and NBC Philadelphia. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter. And, get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)