Charges Could Come After DNA Results in Killing of Drexel Graduate

Investigators are awaiting the results of DNA testing to determine whether to file charges against a handyman being eyed in the killing of a recent Drexel University graduate found strangled in her apartment last week.

The handyman, who had access to 27-year-old Jasmine Wright's home, was questioned as a person of interest in her slaying over the weekend, sources said. NBC10 has learned that the man is currently being held on a burglary charge as police await results of DNA testing that could link him to the crime.

Also over the weekend, Wright's parents met with homicide detectives as her stunned West Philadelphia neighbors held a prayer service memorializing the young woman Monday at 7 p.m. at a church across the street from where she was killed.

Wright's property manager found her dead in her third-floor apartment on 50th Street near Locust shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday, authorities said. He alerted police, and medics pronounced the young woman dead about 3:30 p.m. Wright's parents had contacted the property manager to check on her when they became worried about her.

A key detail in the early investigation into Wright's death emerged as investigators combed her home for evidence: There were no signs of forced entry into her apartment, and the place was not ransacked. Investigators believe that she knew her killer.

Wright's death left her neighbors in West Philadelphia, who said she was a well-liked young professional, in shock.

"It's hurt me just to know that it's right next door," neighbor Keith Hooks told NBC10. "And to happen to that person who didn't bother a soul."

The brother of the handyman who is being eyed as a person of interest in Wright's killing told NBC10 that police also brought him in for an interview Friday night.

"They said, 'Could ya'll take a ride downtown with us for a statement? We said, 'Sure,'" Harry Harris said. 

Harris was eventually released from police custody, but his brother was still being held Monday. Harris told NBC10 his brother quit his job as a maintenance worker at Wright's building two weeks ago. 

"My brother stopped working the first of July," he said. "He gave back the keys and everything else."

The investigation is continuing. 

Contact Us