Morgan Zalot

Carbon Monoxide Forces Evacuations at Old City Bar

Firefighters had to evacuate patrons from a bustling downtown Philadelphia bar and restaurant at the height of a busy weekend night after high carbon monoxide levels were detected in the bar.

Officials said that the dangerous gas was detected at Barra Restaurant & Lounge, on Chestnut Street near 2nd in Old City, about midnight. Firefighters evacuated patrons from the bar and the rest of the building after the levels of CO were discovered. There are apartments above the bar.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and can be deadly.

It's unclear how the CO was discovered. No injuries were reported.

Contact Us