Hit-&-Run Driver Drags Man on Scooter 200 Feet, Leaves Him for Dead: Philadelphia Police - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Hit-&-Run Driver Drags Man on Scooter 200 Feet, Leaves Him for Dead: Philadelphia Police



    Search on for Motorist Who Killed Scooter Rider in Hit-Run

    An SUV suspected in a hit-and-run in Port Richmond that left a 35-year-old who had been riding a scooter on Aramingo Avenue dead has been found, and police are continuing to investigate to find the person who was driving at the time. NBC10's Matt DeLucia has the latest details. (Published Thursday, April 14, 2016)

    A man was arrested by police Thursday afternoon related to a deadly hit-and-run in Port Richmond.

    A motorized scooter driver died after being dragged about 200 feet by a hit-and-run driver Wednesday night, said Philadelphia Police.

    Philadelphia police found the scooter driver, later identified as 36-year-old Thomas Dunbar, suffering from multiple head and torso injuries along Lehigh Avenue near Aramingo Avenue in the Port Richmond section of the city around 9:30 p.m.

    Medics rushed Dunbar, of Almond Street near Venango in Port Richmond, to Hahnemann Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

    After striking the man, the driver of a Pontiac Aztec with New York tags drove off, witnesses told police.

    "After striking someone on a motor [scooter] and dragging that person about 200 feet we're certain the driver of the striking vehicle knew what he did," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

    Investigators found the SUV about 90 minutes later park at Cedar and Madison streets -- that about 1 mile from the scene of the crash. Hit-&-Run Driver Drags, Kills Scooter DriverHit-&-Run Driver Drags, Kills Scooter Driver

    Philadelphia Police found an SUV they believe a hit-and-run driver was using when that driver killed a scooter driver in Port Richmond Wednesday night.
    (Published Thursday, April 14, 2016)

    Police awaited a search warrant Thursday morning and expected to file charges after searching the suspect's vehicle and home.

    "You’re looking at some serious charges," said Small.

    The man was led away in handcuffs from a home where the car was found around 3 p.m. Thursday. His lawyer said the man would make no statements.

    No charged had been filed.