Family Wants Justice for Woman Killed 4 Years Ago - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Family Wants Justice for Woman Killed 4 Years Ago



    Four years later, the family of Veronica Benson is still seeking justice after she was gunned down outside her mother's house. (Published Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013)

    It was a night that George Benson will never forget.

    On October 23, 2009, his 23-year-old niece Veronica Benson, left her mother’s home on West 8th Street in Chester, Pennsylvania.  After she left the home, George says he heard a gunshot. George ran outside and spotted Veronica suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest. She was later pronounced dead.

    George says he also spotted a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt running away from the scene.

    “When he started running, his hood flipped back,” George said. “And I saw his face. I saw it was him.”

    George claims the face was that of Veronica’s ex-boyfriend and father of their daughter, who was 2-years-old at the time. Veronica had a restraining order against him.

    Veronica's family claims investigators questioned her ex-boyfriend. They say the ex-boyfriend told police he was at work in Delaware when Veronica was killed. The family claims however that his employer told police he wasn't at work that night.

    "So his alibi was a lie and they have him on tape wearing that hoodie," said George.

    George claims surveillance video from a nearby deli shows the ex-boyfriend wearing the same type of sweatshirt Veronica's killer wore. He also says the video was taken minutes before the murder.

    Despite this and repeated requests from the family, George says police never took a statement from the ex-boyfriend. The family also claims police haven’t given them an update on the case in two years and won’t return their phone calls.

    Now, exactly four years since her death, Veronica’s murder is still unsolved and the family still wants answers.

    “What more do you want?” George asked. “Why haven’t I been sent to the grand jury to tell my story like I’m telling it to you?!”

    NBC10 went to the Chester Police Department for answers. However, police commissioner Joseph Bail and other officers have not yet returned our phone calls.

    NBC10 finally got in touch with the Delaware County District Attorney’s Office. A spokesperson said that the investigation is still “active and ongoing.” They also encourage anyone with information regarding Veronica’s death to give them a call.