- ½ lb. small Italian eggplant, diced into ½" cubes
- 3 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (or sundried tomatoes and oil)
- 1/3 cup pitted chopped green and black olives
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced fine (or roasted garlic)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced eggplant and
sauté until browned and tender (approximately 10 minutes). Transfer eggplant to a bowl.
Add remaining caponata ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside.
Some variations on the recipe:
Eggplant Bruschetta: Add halved cherry tomatoes and feta to the caponata. Top toasted baguette slices with the mixture.
Caponata Pasta: Add a 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes and sauté the mixture in a skillet for a great sauce over pasta.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Christina Dimacali of Clean Your Plate, Philadelphia