It's glutinous. It's gratuitous. It's the wing bowl! And today, it once again takes center stage at the sold-out Wachovia center.
In past years, professional eaters dominated the wing bowl. But this year, the event is just for local, amateur contestants. Whoever eats the most chicken wings in a given time is the champ.
Images: Behind the Scenes at Wing Bowl: Freaks, Floats and Lots of Wingettes
Images: WARNING: Wingettes Shake Their Stuff at Wing Bowl
Images: Wing Bowl: On Stage, Up Close With Gluttony
Images: Wing Bowl Fans Gone Wild Pt. 1
Images: Wing Bowl Fans Gone Wild Pt. 2
WINNER: John Squibb, "Super Squibb", with 203 wings!
Squibb, 23, of Berlin, N.J., said he would return next year to take on three-time Wing Bowl champion Joey Chestnut.
Professional eaters will be competing again next year.
Heading into the competition Squibb was a virtual unknown. But, he was unfazed -- rightly so -- taking down the competition.
Squibb won a mini Cooper, a $7,500 diamond ring and a crown of mini chickens.
"I had ideas of grandeur heading into it... but I never expected this," said Squibb about his win.
In second, Richard "Not Rich" Razzi ate 180 wings.
Razzi, who is homeless, is unsure if he will be returning to the competition in 2010 because he is "getting old now."
On finishing second: "It sucks to lose," he said.
Third place was a tie for Henry “Hank the Tank” Goldey of Philadelphia, PA, and Don “Da Disposal” James of Woolwich, NJ with 153 wings.
UPDATE: Round 2
- 8:46 a.m. Obi wing pukes, rips off his shirt, then climbs under the table
- 8:51 a.m. Frank De Fraud spews
- Officer Beast upchucked at the very end of Round 2
Going on to the Finals:
5th: Cadillac Carrigan, 129 wings (Click here to follow his road to Wing Bowl)
4th: Da Disposal, 141 wings
3rd: Hank the Tank, 145 wings
2nd: Not Rich, 173 wings
1st: Super Squibb, 195 wings
UPDATE: Round 1
- Frank the Tank is washing down his wings with orange soda--interesting technique
- Damaging Doug was first to complain about having too many drumsticks on his plate
- Plates are what count here--not the wings themselves. If contestants don't finish the wings on the plate, the wings don't count.
- Controversy Alert: Some competitors are trying to eat just the wing or the drumstick It has been ruled they must eat whatever is on the plate.
- Best entourage enterance goes to Gentleman Jerry
- Obi wing peed himslef and still made it to the 2nd round eating 83 wings
The Top 5 Contestants after Round 1:
5. Frank De Fraud ate 86 wings
4. Officer Beast ate 90 wings
3. Not Rich ate 98 wings
2. Hank the Tank ate 100 wings
1. Super Squibb ate 103 wings
And the contestants are:Nicholas Ventresca -- Chicken Caesar
Mike Berger --The Eating Machine
Larry Norris -- Below Me
Steveen Mangini -- The Gavone
Arnold Atkins A.K.A Arson Arnie
Doug Canavin -- Damaging Doug
John Squibb -- Super Squibb
John Tiska -- Stormin Norman
Douglas Petock -- Obi Wing
Richard Souders -- Cheesecake Beefcake
David Spector -- The Acidic Jew
Nicholas Kehler -- Nick Papagorgio
Nicholas Beam -- Pot Pie The Sailor
James Waxman -- Gluteus Waximus
Brian Carrigan -- Cadillac Carrigan
Joseph Paul -- Tollman Joe
Rick Russo -- Rick the Manager
Mike Casciano -- The Caveman
Walled Youseff -- Baby Walley
Frank Farrell -- Frank De Fraud
Jerry Coughlan -- Gentleman Jerry
Dan Trainor -- Dan the Prop
Daniel Carpino -- The Big Bambino
Richard Waertz -- Officer Beast
Don James -- Da Disposal
Henry Goldey -- Hank the Tank
Richard Razzi -- Not Rich