Hit-&-Run Driver Crashes Car Into Pennsauken Pizza Shop

It happened around 3:30 a.m. Saturday at Roman’s Pizza on Marlton Pike

View Comments ()



    Police arrested a driver who they say slammed into a pizza shop twice before fleeing the scene. Now they're trying to figure out whether the act was an accident or intentional. (Published Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013)

    A South Jersey pizza shop owner is trying to figure out whether an early morning accident was a deliberate act or a mistake by a drunk driver.

    Police say a gold jeep crashed into Roman's pizza in Pennsauken, New Jersey on 3618 Marlton Pike around 3:30 a.m. on Saturday.

    Hit-and-Run Driver Slams Into Pizza Shop Twice

    [PHI] Hit-and-Run Driver Slams Into Pizza Shop Twice
    Was it a deliberate act or a drunken mistake? That's what a South Jersey pizza shop owner wants to know about a driver that plowed into the front of her store twice early Saturday morning. (Published Saturday, Jan. 5, 2013)

    "They went right through the front of the building and demolished it," said Stephanie Boese, the owner of the shop, which is a decades old staple in Pennsauken.

    Surveillance video shows the jeep plowing through the front of the pizza shop twice before leaving the scene. No one was hurt.

    "I don't know if it was done out of spite or if it was an accident," said Boese.

    The shop will be closed for a few  months due to the crashes. Investigators also say they found the car's license plate in the rubble.

    Boese told NBC10 police arrested the driver of the vehicle whom she believes is from the neighborhood. Pennsauken Police told NBC10 they arrested a Camden man in his 20's who they believe is the hit-and-run driver. However, the man was arrested for an outstanding traffic warrant from Oaklyn, New Jersey, according to investigators. The suspect has not yet been arrested and charged with Saturday morning's crash. They say they're still trying to determine if the man crashed into the shop on purpose.

    "We've been here for 25 years," said Boese. "I've been here for 10. I'm the second owner. We really can't believe what's happened. It's shocking."

    Boese says customers normally sit right where the jeep entered the store. While she wishes the whole ordeal never happened, she's thankful everything occurred when the shop wasn't open.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS