Flaming Beer Pong Ball Causes Apt. Fire

Saturday, Oct 12, 2013  |  Updated 4:20 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Flaming Beer Pong Ball Causes Apt. Fire

advertisement

Fire officials blame a flaming beer-pong ball for starting a fire inside a college student's apartment in Bloomsburg.

WATCH: Woman Injured in Rowhome Fire

The Press Enterprise of Bloomsburg reports the student was using a lighter to pop a dent out of the ball Friday afternoon when he dropped it. The student and his roommate tried to stomp on the ball to extinguish but it rolled under a bed, setting the bed on fire.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott McBride says the roommates tried to move the flaming mattress and box spring, then sprayed them with a fire extinguisher.

Firefighters doused the bedding and removed it from the building. No one was hurt.

Chief Bob Rupp says students elsewhere in the apartment building failed to leave despite blaring alarms and heavy smoke.

Also on NBC10.com:

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out