4 People, 1 Dog Killed in Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Wilmington Apartment Building | NBC 10 Philadelphia

4 People, 1 Dog Killed in Apparent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Wilmington Apartment Building

The cause of the carbon monoxide buildup was not yet known

Wilmington Police are investigating the deaths of four people and a dog after they were found dead in their Hidden Valley apartment on Homestead Road. The apartment was filled with Carbon Monoxide. Seven other people, including three children, were taken the hospital but are reported to be in stable condition. (Published Saturday, March 26, 2016)

First responders found four people and a dog dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning inside their homes at a Wilmington, Delaware, apartment complex, police tell NBC10.

High levels of carbon monoxide were detected at the Hidden Valley Apartment Complex located at 500 Homestead Road around 5 p.m. Friday. The building was evacuated and firefighters searched the complex.


UPDATE: The apartment complex's owners say a faulty boiler exhaust pipe is to blame for the tragedy. What they plan to do now.

4 Killed in Apparent CO Poisoning

[PHI] 4 Killed in Apparent CO Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the cause of deaths for four people and a dog inside a Wilmington apartment complex. NBC10's George Spencer reports. (Published Saturday, March 26, 2016)


New Castle County Police Cpl. Tom Jackson said officers were called to the building after family members couldn't get hold of their loved ones over the phone during the day.

When officers arrived, they discovered three people and a dog deceased in one apartment and another person in a different unit, Jackson said.

The complex was evacuated and seven people, four adults and three kids, were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, according to police.

About two dozen apartments remain evacuated as the investigation continues.

Officials do not believe foul play is involved. The cause of the carbon monoxide buildup was not yet known.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by combustible engines in vehicles, gas generators and other heating elements. Poisoning symptoms are described as flu-like with dizziness, nausea and chest pain. People who are drunk or sleeping are especially susceptible to death from the gas.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 4,000 people are hospitalized every year from CO poisoning. More than 400 people die. Here's some tips to avoid CO poisoning in your home.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS