Two young girls escaped serious injury when a massive tree branch fell on a walkway near a Jersey City playground.
Hudson County Sheriff's spokesman Michael Makarski told The Jersey Journal that officials believe the 25-foot-long branch weighed nearly 2,000 pounds. It did not directly strike the girls, but they were hit by outer foliage and smaller branches when the limb fell around 5 p.m. Saturday in Lincoln Park.
The girls, ages 9 and 11, were both treated at a hospital and released later Saturday. The 11-year-old had minor neck and back injuries, while the 9-year-old was treated for minor cuts to her arm and a possible broken wrist.
County officials are still trying to determine what caused the tree limb to fall.
More stories on NBC10.com:
- Body of Missing Woman Found, Husband Charged
- DUI Driver Strikes 2 Kids, 2 Adults: Police
- NFL Player Arrested at Philly International Airport
- Explosive Fire Causes Home to Collapse: Officials
- Wandering Toddler Found Unconscious in Lake