Various prescription drugs, syringes and dozens of bags of heroin were found in the apartment where Philip Seymour Hoffman died Sunday morning, sources tell NBC 4 New York.
Law enforcement sources say addiction treatment medication, muscle relaxants, an anti-anxiety drug and blood pressure medication was found in the West Village apartment where Hoffman was discovered by a friend on the bathroom floor. Some were prescribed to him, some were not, sources said.
A small bag of white powder found in the home was also being tested to see if it is cocaine, according to a law enforcement official.
The Oscar-winning actor was found Sunday at about 11:30 a.m. with a syringe in his arm, and authorities believe he had been dead several hours, sources said. The suspected cause is an overdose.
His last known contacts on Saturday night were with his longtime girlfriend at around 8 p.m., and a screenwriter friend at about 9 p.m., the official said.
An autopsy was being conducted Monday, but toxicology results were expected to take days.
The law enforcement official said purity tests were still ongoing but there was nothing to suggest that the heroin in his apartment was overly potent.
Police were also trying to track down where he got the heroin.
Sources say bank records show Hoffman withdrew $1,200 from an ATM at a supermarket near his West Village home between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. the night he died. A witness told investigators he saw Hoffman speaking with two men who were wearing messenger bags as he made the withdrawls.
Detectives are looking into whether he bought the drugs the night of his death.
Hoffman, who was 46 and had three children, won the Oscar for Best Actor in 2006 for his starring role in "Capote." He was nominated for Oscars three other times, including for 2012's "The Master," and he earned two Tony nominations for his work on Broadway.
Just weeks ago, Showtime announced Hoffman would star in "Happyish," a new comedy series about a middle-aged man's pursuit of happiness.
Hoffman spoke candidly over the years about past struggles with drug addiction. After 23 years sober, he admitted in interviews last year to falling off the wagon and developing a heroin problem that led to a stint in rehab.
Hoffman's family released a statement on Sunday saying they were "devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil."
"This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving," the statement said. "Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”