Let's get this out of the way first: Stephen A Smith is a hot take artist. He's wrong about most things. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.
The First Take host's latest claim is rather interesting, though.
Smith claims to have some insider knowledge in the whole LeBron saga. He's now claiming that LeBron has reached out to Kevin Durant about teaming up on the Lakers.
Yeah, that seems a bit absurd. Durant has already opted out of his contract with the Warriors, but it's highly unlikely he'll sign somewhere else. Why would he? With Durant, the Warriors are a virtual Finals lock every year.
That's not to say LeBron didn't at least check in with Durant, though. The Lakers have been the favorite to land The King for some time now, and it seems like it's just a matter of getting a second star to join him out West.
Complete coverage of the Philadelphia 76ers and their rivals in the NBA from NBC Sports Philadelphia.
Either way, it's not good news for the Sixers.
But don't be upset, Sixers fans. At least this gives us a chance to dig up Smith's strange, one-sided - threatening(?) - beef with Durant.
More on the Sixers
- Kawhi Leonard to the Sixers ... only if the price is right
- Sixers make offer for Kawhi as pressure builds on Lakers to get him
- NBA free agency preview: Can Sixers upgrade from Johnson at backup center?
- If no LeBron or P.G., how should Sixers proceed in free agency?
- Sixers to get some international visitors during preseason