The Eagles are about to play a preseason game on Thursday night, so with it comes the first unofficial depth chart of the summer.
While the depth charts are distributed by the Eagles, it's not like Doug Pederson is putting it together. It's actually done by the public relations staff. But it's the first depth chart we've seen so let's take a look (with a giant grain of salt).
Here are some things that stand out:
• The injured guys are still on there, so Alshon Jeffery and Tim Jernigan are still starters. If the depth chart was updated based on what's been happening at practice, Mack Hollins would be the starter in Jeffery's spot opposite Mike Wallace and Destiny Vaeao would be the starter in Jernigan's spot next to Fletcher Cox.
• Nate Gerry is listed as the starting weakside linebacker ahead of Kamu Grugier-Hill. That is totally fair based on practice; while KGH has played really well, Gerry has gotten most of the first-team reps. That's the spot the Eagles had to fill after moving on from Mychal Kendricks.
• While Gerry is listed as a starter, the Eagles are more often in their nickel package. This depth chart doesn't account for that, but if it did, Sidney Jones would probably be listed as the NCB. He's gotten the most first-team reps there this summer.
• I know Michael Bennett has been working with the second team all training camp, but it's still shocking to see his name listed with the twos. That's how deep the Eagles are at DE. They have a Pro Bowler coming off the bench.
• Darren Sproles is listed as the punt returner and kick returner. With the new kickoff rules, Sproles should be able to do both. Kickoffs are going to be a lot more like punts this year and Sproles will be helped by the new rule.
• You might be surprised to see Greg Ward listed as the backup behind Nelson Agholor, but in Agholor's absence at practice today, Ward took reps there. He has a chance to make the roster.
• Dallas Goedert is already listed as the No. 2 tight end. No surprise there. He's going to play a lot.
• Some guy named Carson Wentz is listed as QB1. Remember him?
Here's the full depth chart:
— Dave Zangaro (@DZangaroNBCS) August 7, 2018