Detective Testifies About Jackson Doctor’s Phone Records

The detective testified the calls included a 32-minute call to his Las Vegas practice and another to the mother of Murray's child

Getty Images

A detective testified Thursday that Dr. Conrad Murray made 11 phone calls totaling just under 90 minutes as he treated Michael Jackson the day the superstar died.

Detective Dan Myers was scheduled to return to the stand Friday, which is Day 4 of the preliminary hearing. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor is being asked to  determine if there is enough evidence for Murray, 57, to stand trial.

Myers testified Thursday that Murray -- who had  two cellular phones in his name -- had made or received the calls between 7:01 a.m. and 11:51 a.m. June 25, 2009.  Prosecutors contend that Murray, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter  in connection with Jackson's death, administered propofol to Jackson at the  singer's rented Holmby Hills estate between 10:40 and 11 a.m.

Myers said the doctor's phone calls that morning included a 32-minute  call to his practice in Las Vegas. They also included an 11-minute call made  just before the doctor called Jackson's personal assistant at 12:12 p.m. to  report that the singer had a "bad reaction," according to cellular phone  records presented by Myers.

The calls also included one at 1:08 p.m. -- when other witnesses  testified Murray was making a phone call from the ambulance containing Jackson -- to the mother of Murray's child, Myers said.

Prosecutors contend that Murray had "abandoned his patient" after  administering the sedative, which is normally used in hospitals. Jackson died  of acute propofol intoxication.

Prosecutors contend that Murray failed to tell paramedics or doctors  that he had administered propofol to the singer and took steps that were an  "extreme deviation from the standard of care." They also contend Murray and  security personnel collected drug vials and other materials from the room  before calling 911.

ER Doctors: Murray Never Indicated He Administered Drug

Two emergency room doctors from Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center  testified Thursday that Murray never told them he had given the pop superstar a  powerful sedative that eventually killed him.

Dr. Richelle Cooper testified that the singer "had no signs of life"  when he was brought to the hospital.

She said she asked Murray what medications Jackson was on, and Murray  said only the anxiety medication lorazepam. Cooper said Murray did not say he  had given Jackson propofol.

Dr. Thao Nguyen, a cardiology fellow at UCLA, testified that she was  introduced to Murray at the hospital and asked him what had happened. Murray  told Nguyen that Jackson -- who had been rehearsing for a series of concerts in  London -- was very tired but had difficulty sleeping and required some  medications to help him rest, she said.

The doctor said she asked Murray what medications Jackson was given, and  Murray mentioned only lorazepam.

Doctors worked on Jackson from the time the ambulance arrived at 1:13  p.m. until 2:26 p.m., when the singer was pronounced dead, Nguyen said.

Copyright CNS - City News Service
Contact Us