What to Know
- A car slammed into the Social Security field office in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey Tuesday morning.
- The crash left 21 people hurt, police said.
- Police say the crash appeared to be an accident but that they need to investigate further.
A car slammed into a Social Security office near the Jersey shore Tuesday morning leaving multiple people hurt.
The Nissan sedan crashed into the lobby where many people were waiting at the Social Security field office off Fire Road (County Route 651) in Egg Harbor Township around 9:50 a.m.
Egg Harbor police said 21 people suffered injuries, most of which were minor. Two were seriously hurt. Eighteen people were treated and released from the hospital.
A 56-year-old Atlantic City woman was driving the Nissan along with an adult passenger and two young children, authorities said.
You could see the car through a large hole left in the side of the building.
Police said the crash appeared to be an accident.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The Egg Harbor Township field office, and ones like it, allows people to have face-to-face meetings to address any Social Security concerns, the administration says on its website. It has about 26 full-time employees who help up to 48,000 people yearly.
The office will be closed until further notice for repairs. While it's closed, people who need services can visit these other local Social Security offices:
- 149 West Broad Street, Bridgeton, NJ 08302
- 1046 Route 47 South, Rio Grande, NJ 08242
- 190 Saint Catherine Boulevard, Toms River, NJ 08755
Those offices are open to the public Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Or visit www.socialsecurity.gov or call (800) 772-1213 or (800) 325-0778 for TTY.