Woman Pleads Guilty in "Bonnie and Clyde" Police Car Chase - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Woman Pleads Guilty in "Bonnie and Clyde" Police Car Chase

Shayna Sykes pleads guilty in a "Bonnie and Clyde" style crime spree with her lover



    Bonnie & Clyde Meet Again in Court

    Shayna Sykes and Blake Bills saw each other in court today, as we learned a lot more about the alleged motive behind the two-state police chase. (Published Monday, March 25, 2013)

    One of the two lovers accused of stealing police cars during this year's "Bonnie and Clyde" crime spree pleaded guilty to the charges she faced in Philadelphia.

    Shayna Sykes admitted guilty Friday to a litany of crimes -- 26 charges, including DUI, receiving stolen property, fleeing officers, reckless endangerment and assault. Two criminal mischief charges were dropped.

    As part of the plea agreement, Sykes' bail was revoked and she was ordered to have a mental health evaluation, according to court records.

    Sentencing is set for Sept. 16.

    Bonnie & Clyde: The Confessions

    [PHI] Bonnie & Clyde: The Confessions
    This story was originally reported on March 25, 2013.
    Shayna Sykes and Blake Bills gave investigators quite a story in their statement after being arrested in a two-state, high-speed police chase.
    (Published Friday, July 12, 2013)

    Sykes and her boyfriend, Blake Bills, are accused of stealing two police cars and leading police on a dramatic, high-speed chase that started in Camden, N.J. and ended across the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pa.

    The crime spree started when Bills was bold enough, police say, to steal the first police car from right in front of Camden's Police Headquarters, where Officer Sekou Reid-Bey had pulled someone over during a traffic stop.

    "As [the office] was interviewing the driver of that car, he heard his car door shut," said Camden Police Chief John S. Thomson, on March 4 when the Sykes-Bills crime spree took place.

    Initially, Sykes, 23, and Bills, 24, were pursued by both the Camden and Pennsauken Police Departments. They had the advantage of listening to the police conversations over the radio inside the stolen cruiser. The couple headed down Admiral Wilson Boulevard at speeds reaching 100 mph, weaving through Camden and portions of Pennsauken. They then headed over the Ben Franklin Bridge crossing from South Jersey into Philadelphia, where Philly police picked up the chase.

    Bills crashed the cruiser in North Philadelphia. While police were trying to apprehend him, Sykes took off in a Philly police cruiser. Police chased her into Northern Liberties where she was cornered and caught as she tried to run, barefoot, from the scene.

    Bills and Sykes face charges in Philadelphia and South Jersey.

    Both defendants confessed during the early stages of the investigation. They said they were drug addicts and that when Bills allegedly stole the first police car, he did it because the couple was just trying to stay warm.

    Bills was also due in court today but at his lawyer''s request, his hearing was pushed back to July 29, according to court records.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS