David Chang

‘Shoot Me Between the Eyes!' Officer Shoots Drunk Man Armed With Gun in Northeast Philadelphia, Police Say

When police arrived, the man allegedly screamed at them and pointed his gun at two of the responding officers.

What to Know

  • A police officer shot a man who was armed with a gun in Northeast Philadelphia Tuesday night, according to investigators.
  • Police say the unidentified man was holding a gun on the 8700 block of Crispin Street and was shot in the abdomen by a responding officer.
  • The man was taken to the hospital. No officers were injured during the incident.

A drunk man aimed his gun toward police, repeatedly told them to shoot him and ignored orders to drop his weapon before an officer opened fire on him, investigators said.

The ordeal took place along the 8700 block of Crispin Street in Northeast Philadelphia Tuesday around 6:50 p.m. Police responded to a radio call reporting a person with a gun at that location. When they arrived they found Patrick McGuinn, 66, on the front porch of a home.

McGuinn, who police say had been arguing with his family members while drunk, allegedly walked toward the officers while armed with a Bersa .380 caliber. McGuinn told the officers, "I'm not going to jail, kill me," and, "You're going to have to kill me," according to investigators.

McGuinn then pointed his gun at his chest and head before pointing it toward the officers, police said.

Police say they told McGuinn several times to drop his weapon but he refused, stating, "Shoot me, shoot me, shoot me between the eyes!" McGuinn then allegedly pointed his gun again at one of the officers. That officer then fired his own weapon, striking McGuinn once in the left thigh.

"I was cooking dinner and heard a shot and went out the side door," a neighbor said.

McGuinn fell to the ground. Police say they had to wrestle his weapon from him even after he was shot. McGuinn was placed in custody and taken to Jefferson-Frankford Hospital where he was treated for a gunshot wound to the left thigh and a broken femur. He is listed in stable condition.

"The fact that one officer fired just one shot, that is a lot of restraint," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

No officers were injured during the incident.

"I have a daughter who's a police officer," Joanne Casey, another neighbor, told NBC10. "It's very scary. It just doesn't happen here. This is a nice neighborhood."

Contact Us