Yard Sale Buying Tips
NBCPhiladelphia.com - Tracy Davidson
Yard sales are a great way to get rid of stuff but for buyers they can be an amazing way to get amazing deals.
If you're heading out to a yard sale, here are a few things you can do to help yourself get the best deals, according to the NBC10 Consumer Team.
- Browse the classified ads and the Internet to find yard sales in your area. Map out the locations of different sales to determine your route before you head out to save on gas money.
- Carry your money in a fanny pack or small change purse, so you can inspect different items and not be worried about putting your purse down and having it stolen.
- Do not rely on first impressions. The best things may be buried in the bottom of a box. Do a little digging before you give up on any particular sale.
- Prepare to bargain. Don’t push the seller too hard, but try to get yourself a lower price than what’s on the tag.
- Timing is important. Arriving as soon as a yard sale begins provides you with the best selection. However, if you arrive at the end of the day, you may be able to buy items for lower prices as the seller will part with the item regardless of the price.
- Carry small bills and change. While the seller should have change, you don’t want to be the person who pays with a $20 bill for a $2 item.
- If you and a seller can’t agree on the price of an item, leave your name and number with the seller and if by the end of the day, the item is still there, you may receive a call from the interested seller.
Check out where to find some great sales.