El Caliente Cupcakes
Courtsey of Doron Petersan of Sticky Fingers DC
Updated 11:40 AM EST, Fri, Jul 20, 2012
“El Caliente” Chocolate Spice Cupcakes
Yield: 18 cupcakes
2 cups (9.2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) sugar
2/3 cup (2.2 ounces) cocoa
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups coconut milk from a carton (recommended: So Delicious)
2/3 cup oil
1/2 cup brewed and cooled coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line cupcake tin.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, cayenne pepper and salt into a medium-size bowl. Set the bowl aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, oil, coffee, and vanilla.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just incorporated.
6. Fold in the vinegar until you begin to see streaks. Do not over mix the batter.
7. Fill lined cupcake tin ¾ full and bake for 16 to 19 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mexican Chocolate Frosting
Yield: Makes enough frosting to frost 18 cupcakes or a 2-layer 9” cake
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons non hydrogenated vegetable shortening (recommended: Earth Balance)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
3 3/4 cups 10x powdered sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 5 tablespoons soymilk, as needed
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip shortening and margarine with the paddle attachment until completely combined. Scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure that all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper and cinnamon.
3. On low speed, slowly add sugar mixture to the shortening mixture a little at a time.
4. Once the sugar and cocoa are incorporated, add the vanilla and soymilk and mix on low until the liquids are incorporated.
5. Scrape the bottom of the bowl, and mix on medium-high speed until all ingredients are combined and frosting is fluffy, about 2 minutes.
First Published: Jul 20, 2012 10:30 AM EST