Ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday, local vets are warning pet owners about the dangers of sharing Thanksgiving foods with your pets.
"The best thing you can feed your dog is dog food," said Connecticut Humane Society veterinarian Christina Delgado.
Many Thanksgiving staples can spell disaster for pets, including stuffing, according to Delgado.
"A lot of stuffing has scallions, garlic, onions," said Delgado. "All three of those components are toxic to animals."
That means mashed potatoes, which often contain garlic, are also out of the question. Salads that contain grapes or raisins can be toxic too, along with ham and chocolate.
Delgado said bird bones — including turkey bones — are the most dangerous to pets.
"It can actually penetrate through the stomach or the intestines and can potentially cause a life-threatening infection," Delgado said.
So what do you do if someone else at your table falls for the puppy eyes? Keep an eye out for symptoms of an adverse reaction. Your pet may seem lethargic and quiet, then begin vomiting.
If you catch it early enough, your vet can treat it. Iif not, it’s likely going to cost you.
"If it’s a major abdominal surgery, then we can be looking into the thousands of dollars," Delgado explained.
Turkey breast and gravy are safe to give pets, in moderation.