Fire crews battle frigid temperatures and intense flames at a row house fire in Darby Township, Pa. Five homes are damaged and nine people were left homeless.
Fire crews responded to a 911 call at 9:50 a.m. and headed out to the 1500 block of Roosevelt Drive.
John Morgan says the fire started in his second floor bedroom and believes a space heater may be to blame. "I think it ignited the covers. The covers on the bed skirt got on fire and caused the mattress to go up," said Morgan.
Two of Morgan's dogs were rescued, but a third dog died in the fire.
"The fire was coming out of the roof. I knocked on people's doors, told them 'fire, fire,' " said Barry Dawkins, who tells NBC10 he is the one who called 911.
The fire was placed under control just before noon. The Red Cross is now assisting those displaced residents.
- Ransom Paid for Beaten Man: Police
- Retired Judge Dies in South Philly Fire
- Fire Causes $300K in Damage to Town Houses
- Realtor Falls From Fire Escape, Dies