Elderly Woman Using Generator Dies From CO Poisoning

Police say an 90-year-old Upper Merion Township women died from fumes caused by a gas-powered generator being used after Sandy

By David Chang and Dan Stamm
|  Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012  |  Updated 7:41 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Viewer Images From Sandy

Police say the high levels of CO were caused by a generator that was being used after power in the home went out.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Police say an elderly woman in Upper Merion Township died due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning and that a preliminary investigation shows that a gas-powered generator being used after Sandy knocked out power caused the fumes.

Tuesday morning around 10:45, police and ambulance personnel responded to a report of an unconscious 90-year-old woman inside a home on the 600 block of Charlestown Drive in the Swedeland section of Upper Merion.

When they arrived, they found the woman’s body on her bed. Officials say monitoring equipment also indicated high levels of Carbon Monoxide inside the house. Two more people inside the home were evacuated and the Swedeland Fire Department arrived to ventilate the home.

Investigators say that a portable gas-powered generator was being used in the garage since the power went out at the home around midnight as Sandy passed over. The homeowners were sleeping on the third floor while the elderly woman was sleeping on the first floor in a hospital bed. Police say the generator was used to power a light for her.

Police didn't immediately release the identity of the woman.

 


Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out