Space Heater Fire Breaks Out in House

By Dan Stamm
|  Thursday, Nov 7, 2013  |  Updated 6:57 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
A family of five is epxected to be OK after a fire broke out in their South Jersey home.

NBC10 - Monique Braxton

A family of five is epxected to be OK after a fire broke out in their South Jersey home.

advertisement

Heavy smoke poured from a house fire early this morning inside a South Jersey home.

The fire broke out on the first floor of a home along the 6700 block of Maple Avenue in Pennsauken Township, N.J. just after 4 a.m. Wednesday, according to investigators.

There were initial reports that smoke from the blaze caused two people to suffer smoke inhalation. Pennsauken Fire Department Chief Joe Palumbo said, however, that the five residents inside -- including two children -- were checked out by medics but not seriously injured.

"The fire marshal is investigating the fire as starting in a space heater on the first floor," said Palumbo.

Palumbo said that firefighters suggest never using space heaters but had tips for people who absolutely need to so that they can stay warm.

Related Stories

"We would just like to have you use them in a well-ventilated area and free from any combustibles," Palumbo said.

Firefighters hope to clear out before 7 a.m. to not cause traffic problems for the morning commute.

 


Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out