50 Kids Hospitalized After School Gas Leak

Dozens of children were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a Philadelphia elementary school.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    50 students from Joseph H. Brown Elementary School in Holmesburg were sent to the hospital on Tuesday after getting sick from a carbon monoxide leak. The school was shut down and students were removed and taken to a near by church. NBC10's Deanna Durante reports. (Published Tuesday, Oct 9, 2012)

    Dozens of children were taken to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a Philadelphia elementary school.

    It happened at Joseph H. Brown Elementary School on the 3600 block of Stanwood Street in the Holmesburg section of the city.

    Officials say 50 students were taken to five hospitals in three different counties where they were treated for dizziness and nausea. Officials say none of the injuries were severe and the children are currently being released and reunited with their families.

    "When I was walking down to go into the yard I breathed in something," said Madison Palen. "And my stomach hurts really bad."

    "When you're at home and you get a call with something like this, you don't know what to think," said Tim Barnes, a step-parent of one of the students.

    The Philadelphia school district and the fire department say a back up generator kicked in over the weekend and is programmed to run every Tuesday morning. It blew a gasket, sending small levels of carbon monoxide throughout the school.

    The children who were not hospitalized were evacuated and taken to Emmanuel Resurrection Church on Frankford and Stanwood and picked up by their parents.

    The school is currently shut down as repairs are being made to the generator. Officials say the school will be open tomorrow.