Philadelphia DA Seth Williams sounds off on the Archdiocese of Philadelphia assisting in providing bail for Monsignor William Lynn.
The Roman Catholic Church and attorneys for a former church official, who's been locked up for the past 18 months related to the clergy sex-abuse scandal, have posted his bail.
Monsignor William Lynn's attorneys posted 10-percent of the $250,000 bail, which was set after an appeals court overturned his conviction last week.
The Archdiocese of Philadelphia also "assisted" with providing the bail, spokesman Ken Gavin said.
Speaking on the issue on New Year's Eve, Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams was livid over the archdioceses' involvement.
"Clearly this sends the wrong message to all victims of child sexual abuse," said Williams, who is Roman Catholic. "As a Roman Catholic, as I am, it sends the wrong message to [church members] that they're going to use our funds, church money, to pay to release this man."
Lynn is the first U.S. church official ever convicted for his handling of abuse claims. But an appeals court now says the child-endangerment felony didn't apply to him.
Officials at the state prison in Waymart, in northeastern Pennsylvania, have not gotten a court order Wednesday releasing Lynn.
Defense lawyer Thomas Bergstrom says he is trying to set up the required electronic monitoring. The priests' attorneys have already turned over his passport, which was a condition of his release.
Lynn is expected to live in Philadelphia while prosecutors ask the state Supreme Court to restore his conviction.