Mom Accused of Killing Twins Appears in Court

The Tacony mother who allegedly killed her twins in an attempted murder-suicide appeared in court this morning for a formal arraignment.

View Comments ()



    Philadelphia Police
    Stacey Newkirk-Smalls is accused of killing her 1-1/2-year-old twins and attempting to kill her 4-year-old daughter in what police call an attempted murder-suicide.

    The Tacony mother who allegedly killed her twins in an attempted murder-suicide appeared in court this morning for a formal arraignment.

    Last May, Stacey Newkirk, 41, attempted to commit suicide by slitting her own wrists after she allegedly killed her 1-1/2-year-old son Adam and the boy's twin sister Eve -- drowning one and strangling the other, Philadelphia Police said.

    Mother of Murder Suspect Speaks Out

    [PHI] Mother of Murder Suspect Speaks Out
    The mother of a Philadelphia woman charged with murdering her twins speaks to NBC 10. Yvonne Newkirk says her family is shattered. (Published Saturday, May 26, 2012)

    Police sources tell NBC10 that Newkirk left four notes explaining that she hurt the children because she was apparently upset after finding out on Mother's Day that her husband, Ron Smalls, was allegedly having an affair with Stacey's daughter from another relationship.

    "She had something that she felt was justification but there is no justification... it’s a tragedy two young babies dead and there is no excuse for that," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told NBC10.Adam+and+Eve+Smalls+were+found+dead+in+their+Tacony+home+Thursday+May+24.+Their+mother+Stacey+allegedly+killed+the+1-1%2F2-year-old+twins.

    Domestic Dispute Provoked Mom to Kill Twins: Cops

    [PHI] Domestic Dispute Provoked Mom to Kill Twins: Cops
    Stacey Smalls is charged with allegedly killing her 1-1/2-year-old twins. Police say that Smalls also poisoned her 4-year-old daughter and attempted to kill herself. According to investigators a domestic dispute between Smalls and her husband is what provoked the tragic incident. NBC10's Deanna Durante reports. (Published Friday, May 25, 2012)

    "Stacey Smalls was transported into the homicide unit and was arrested and charged with two counts of murder," police Capt. James Clark said.

    Neighbors said that the father came home on the afternoon of May 24 and called 911. His twin children were dead, his 4-year-old daughter was poisoned and his wife had slit her wrists, cops said.

    Dad Comes Home to Find Twins Dead

    [PHI] Dad Comes Home to Find Twins Dead
    Corrections officer Ron Smalls arrived home Thursday to find his 1-1/2-year-old twins dead, his 4-year-old poisoned and his wife bleeding from the wrists. Police say his wife killed his son and daughter. On Friday NBC10's Tim Furlong was there as Ron Smalls removed his children's things from his home. (Published Friday, May 25, 2012)

    Newkirk was taken to Frankford Hospital while the 4-year-old girl was taken to St. Christopher’s Hospital where she was treated and released, police said.

    Ron Smalls told NBC10 he would live with the incident for the rest of his life and asked for privacy.

    Mom Kills Twins: Police

    [PHI] Mom Kills Twins: Police
    Police say a mom strangled one of her children and drowned another in their Tacony home. She is hospitalized and being questioned by police. (Published Friday, May 25, 2012)

    "He's not talking to us and he's being very distant from us," said Ball. "We wish that he would talk so we could bring some closure." 

    Newkirk arrived in court for a formal arraignment today at 11 a.m. She faces murder, attempted murder and aggravated assault charges.

    Twin Toddlers Killed

    [PHI] Twin Toddlers Killed
    Neighbors watched, some cried, and others said prayers as investigators removed two tiny bodies from inside a home on Ditman Street in Tacony. The victims, one and a half year old twins and their lives allegedly taken by their own mother, according to investigators. Police sources tell NBC10's Claudia Rivero that one of the victims was drowned and the other was strangled. A 4-year-old was also taken to St. Christopher's Hospital.The 41-year-old mother allegedly tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. Police say she left four letters explaining a possible motive. (Published Thursday, May 24, 2012)

    Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, our mobile site and NBC Philadelphia. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter. And, get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)