Family of NJ Explosion Victim Hires Attorney

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    Facebook.com

    The family of a woman killed in the Ewing Township explosion earlier this month has hired an attorney.

    Tom Kline says his firm is conducting an investigation into the cause of the explosion that killed 62-year-old Linda Cerritelli and injured seven other people.

    Contractor, Utility Respond to Deadly Explosion 911 Calls

    [PHI] Contractor, Utility Respond to Deadly Explosion 911 Calls
    A day after the chilling 911 calls from the deadly Ewing Township explosion were released, NBC10 checked to see if PSE&G officials as well as the contractor responded to new audio. NBC10's Matt DeLucia has the details.

    On March 4, workers with Henkels & McCoy, a private contractor, were replacing electric service to a home in a Ewing Township townhouse complex on Crockett Lane. Officials with Public Service Electric & Gas say the workers accidentally struck and damaged a gas line.

    According to Ewing Township Mayor Bert Steinmann, the workers called PSE&G officials to report that they damaged the gas line. However, Steinmann claims the workers never called 911.

    Mayor Releases 911 Calls From Deadly Explosion

    [PHI] Mayor Releases 911 Calls From Deadly Explosion
    The Mayor of Ewing Township released the 911 calls that were made immediately after the deadly explosion on March 4. The Mayor also told NBC10's Lu Ann Cahn that none of the workers called 911 after they struck a gas line about an hour before the blast.

    "Had that 911 come in at the time that the gas line was hit and if we responded, some of the response may have been a little different," Steinmann said.

    About an hour after the line was struck, "ignition" occurred. The blast destroyed the home, killed the homeowner, Cerritelli, injured seven utility workers and damaged more than 50 other houses.

    Steinmann believes the workers spoke with Cerritelli minutes before the explosion.

    "Whether they told her to go back in the house or get out of the house, that's still not clear," Steinmann said.

    The seven people injured in the blast were all PSE&G workers. Officials said none of their injuries were life-threatening.

    While Steinmann claimed that none of the workers called 911, he also told NBC10 that a criminal investigation in the blast was complete and that no charges would be filed against Henkels & McCoy.

    "They did rule out any criminal action at all," said Steinmann. "At this particular point in time it was just an accident. Henkels and McCoy inadvertently hit this particular line. They're still investigating why it happened but there's no criminality involved there at all."

    Henkels and McCoy had been fined more than $100,000 by safety regulators for problems at two other sites, but the utility said Wednesday it never had any problems with the construction firm.

    The Blue Bell, Pa.-based company was cited last year by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration for violations involving signaling, warning signs and protection of workers during excavations. The company is contesting the fines.

    At a news conference, a PSE&G director of gas construction, Mike Gaffney, expressed confidence in its contractor. He said the utility had a long-standing relationship with the firm, that it had done good work for the utility and that there had been no prior problems.

    Records provided by the OSHA show that Henkels & McCoy was fined $70,000 in March 2013 for safety violations at a site in Bayonne and $42,000 for violations in Neptune in August

    The company said it was cooperating fully in the Ewing investigation.

    "We are deeply saddened at the loss of life,'' company spokesman Dave Lamoreaux said. "Obviously this is a significant event for Henkels & McCoy as well. We are a 90-year-old company that prides itself on doing good, solid work in the community, and we will support the investigation in any way we can.''