Harry Gross: Hardly a problem

Dear Harry: We have one child, an unmarried daughter who is buying a new house. She is considering a mortgage of $125,000, which she can easily afford. She has a good job that looks as secure as any job in today's economic environment. We would like to give her the amount of the mortgage, which we can easily afford. However, we have been told that a gift that large will have some gift-tax complications. Is there a way we can do this without getting involved with the gift tax?

Copyright PHILY - Philly.com
Contact Us