UPDATE: 30 Shot, 4 Fatally, in Weekend Chicago Violence
Nearly two dozen people were shot, three of them fatally, in shootings across Chicago since Friday.
The weekend’s first fatal shooting took place around 1:45 p.m. Friday in the 1900 block of West Howard Street in the city’s Rogers Park neighborhood when an 18-year-old man was found with gunshot wounds to his torso and back, police said.
Police responded to the scene after receiving reports of shots fired in the area and found the teen unresponsive.
He was transported to Presence St. Francis Hospital in Evanston where he was pronounced dead, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. He was later identified as 18-year-old Alante Vallejo, officials said.
A second person was also injured in the shooting, police said.
A 20-year-old man suffered a wound to his foot and took himself to Evanston Hospital in good condition, police said.
Officials believe the shooting may have been gang-related.
Also Friday, a woman was shot to death in the city’s West Garfield Park neighborhood.
Police said a 22-year-old woman was shot around 10:45 p.m. in the 100 block of North Keeler Avenue in what may have been a domestic incident.
Carnesha Fort was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and was pronounced dead just before 11:30 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.
Early Saturday, two people were shot in the city’s Washington Park neighborhood.
Police said officers found an 18-year-old man and a 20-year-old man in an alley in the 5600 block of South Wabash while responding to reports of shots fired.
The 18-year-old man was unresponsive at the scene and pronounced dead and the 20-year-old man was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County.
The medical examiner’s office later identified the 18-year-old victim as Brian Weekly.
At least 18 other people were wounded in overnight shootings.
- Around 10:45 a.m., police said a 27-year-old man was shot in the city's West Garfield Park neighborhood. The man told police he was in the 4000 block of West West End Avenue when someone exited a vehicle and opened fire. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where his condition was stabilized, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala.
- Around 3:28 a.m. Saturday, a 20-year-old man was shot in the 4800 block of West Quincy Avenue. The man told police he was standing with a group of people when someone exited a blue vehicle and opened fire. The man suffered a graze wound to the foot and was listed in good condition at Loretto Hospital.
- About 20 minutes earlier, two people were shot in the 4600 block of South Ellis Avenue. Police said they were responding to a call of shots fired when they discovered a man and woman wounded at the scene. Both were transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for treatment, police said. A 20-year-old woman was shot in the face and was listed in critical condition and a 21-year-old man was shot in the chest and leg and was listed in good condition. The man told police he heard shots and felt pain.
- Minutes earlier, police officers witnessed a man shoot and injure someone in the 3600 block of West Shakespeare Avenue. The officers approached the offender who they say pointed a gun at them forcing them to fire. The officers did not hit the offender and the man then fled the scene, police said. Details surrounding the injuries of the person shot were not immediately available. Area North detectives are investigating.
- Just before midnight, two people were shot in the 6100 block of South Wabash Avenue. An 18-year-old man and a 19-year-old man were standing outside when three people approached them and one person opened fire. The victims fled the scene after being shot and were later transported in stable condition at Stroger Hospital, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada. The 18-year-old man suffered a wound to the leg and the 19-year-old man was shot in the arm. The incident is believed to be gang-related, according to authorities.
- Around 11:30 p.m., two officers and two suspects were wounded in a shootout during a traffic stop. Police said a man inside a vehicle fired at officers as they exited their vehicle during a traffic stop. The officers fired back at the man, striking him and a female driver in the car.
- A 22-year-old man was shot around 10:45 p.m. while walking on a sidewalk in the 10100 block of South Aberdeen Street. The man was shot in the ankle and taken in stable condition to Little Company of Mary Hospital.
- About 10 minutes earlier, a 16-year-old boy was shot in the lower back while walking with a group of people in the 1000 block of North Lamon Avenue. Police said a man approached the group and opened fire, striking the teen. The victim fled the scene after realizing he was shot and was later taken to Stroger Hospital in stable condition. Police believe the incident may have been gang-related.
- Around 10:15 p.m., two people were shot in the 500 block of North Leclaire Avenue. Police said a 27-year-old woman was sitting in a car and a 15-year-old boy was walking on the block when an offender opened fire in the area, striking them both. The woman suffered a graze wound to her shoulder and was in good condition at West Suburban Medical Center and the teen suffered a graze wound to the back and refused treatment. Police said it was not clear who the target was.
- Earlier Friday, a 30-year-old man was shot about 6 p.m. in the 4600 block of South Drexel Boulevard. The man, who police said was not cooperating with investigators, was shot in the leg and taken in stable condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. The man said he was in a group when a man opened fire and hit him. No other injuries were reported.
- Just after 4 p.m., a 27-year-old ma n was shot in an apparent drive-by in the 4900 block of West Augusta Avenue. The man told police he was walking in an alley when a passenger in a passing maroon sedan fired shots at him. The vehicle fled the scene and the man was taken in stable condition to West Suburban Medical Center. Police said the shooting may have been gang-related.
- Around 2 p.m. Friday, a 24-year-old man was shot in another apparent drive-by in the 11200 block of South Marshfield Avenue. The man said a dark-colored sedan pulled alongside his vehicle and a passenger fired shots at his car, striking him in the ankle. The man was taken in good condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center, police said.