An elementary school in Darby, Pa. was evacuated Wednesday morning due to a gas leak, according to officials.
Officials say the leak was caused by a broken gas pipe at the Walnut Street Elementary School on 224 South 6th Street. Students at the school as well as nearby residents were evacuated. The students were taken to other schools in the district.
A message posted to the William Penn School District website discussed the evacuations:
Walnut Street Elementary School has been evacuated due to a broken gas pipe in the basement. Walnut Street students in kindergarten through 3rd grade have been evacuated to Bell Avenue Elementary School. Students in grades 4 through 6 and the Green Tree Program have been evacuated to Penn Wood Middle School. When the fire company and PECO Energy Company inform us the building is safe to occupy, students will be returned to Walnut Street School.
Stay with NBC10 for further details on this developing story.