NBC10, Darlene Jones
The cousin of the woman charged in the kidnapping and rape of a 5-year-old girl is speaking out for the first time.
“My family is keeping your family in prayer and we’re sorry.”
That’s the message the cousin of the woman charged in the kidnapping and rape of a 5-year-old girl has for the victim’s family. Yet while the family of 19-year-old Christina Regusters is sorry for what happened, they also say they have a hard time believing that Regusters was the person responsible.
On Thursday, Regusters and three other people were picked up by police from a house they searched a week earlier in their investigation of the girl’s abduction. While the other three were released, Regusters was arrested and charged with criminal conspiracy, aggravated assault, kidnapping, rape and other related offenses.
Regusters’ family says she was playful as a child and raised by a mother who encouraged her to finish school.
“The nation needs to know we’re not bad people and we do raise our children right,” said Regusters’ cousin who wanted to remain anonymous. “Who would ever think that someone in your own family would do something like that? I don’t believe it. I don’t believe she did it.”
The cousin told NBC10’s Daralene Jones that the family has been worried about their own safety since Regusters was arrested. The family also insists that if Regusters was actually responsible, she couldn’t have acted alone.
“No girl does things like that,” said Regusters’ cousin. “Find the men and prosecute them. They’re the ones who did it.”
“If you could say anything to the five year old’s family right now, what would it be?” asked NBC10’s Daralene Jones.
“We are truly sorry,” said Regusters’ cousin. “Because we have children too.”
Regusters remains in custody on $4 million bail.